10 January 2012

The Book Sill - Orbitor


Orbitor, by Mircea Cartarescu, has been asleep on my shelf for almost five years. [1]

On the third page of the books I bought I used to write the purchase date. I wish I had kept this habit. I, as I said in a previous post, am a slow man. I learn slowly, I read slowly. Decisions take either seconds or years. I never read books just after buying them: I look at them, read a few random lines, smell the ink and the glue, stroke the cover -is it dull and smooth or shiny and sticky?-, rub the pages between my fingers. Then I drop them wherever I am and go on with life. After a few days I pick them up again and put them on a shelf, any shelf. By then my home is their home and they can come and go as they wish. I do not keep them in any specific order.

Years later, I pick them again. Very, very rarely do I find them at the place where I had left them. Some of my friends object that this is mainly due to my habit of moving house every year. I prefer to think that the books travel at will. They visit each other, talk about themselves, engage in frantic page-flipping orgies. A very high number of them end up on the window sills - and wouldn't you pick that precise spot too if you were confined to the same room day and night?

Some of them run away. I recently found Dhalgren on a shelf at a friend's who swore he didn't know he had it -"I didn't even read it, for fuck's sake !"-. Like Orbitor, Dhalgren is a strange one, written in high style by a mind subject to hallucinations, and a pet book of mine.

I first thought that Orbitor would be another dystopian universe. The opening chapters show Bucarest in its misery: neon lights flashing restlessly, concrete walls, small rooms, reclusion. But as I progressed into the book, this initial set-up proves to work only as the most striking contrast for what comes next: dreams, day or night dreams of the weirdest kind. The narrator's imagination paints the grim environment with unnatural colours, populates well-known streets with unexplainable creatures, carries the body it inhabits through ghostly errands.

After a few chapters, just as I was starting to make sense of the story's background, Cartarescu sends us somewhere completely different. Without any warning, from one page to another, it is another space and time. Is this second universe related to the first one? Are we still in the same story? In the same novel? For a long time I had no idea. And just as I reached another turn, where this new story gets a chance to settle down, Cartarescu shuffles the cards again. The story is sent to yet a different level, where it finds common ground with the first one.

All this sounds confusing? As I am going through the final pages of the book, confusion still dominates. The writing is of a master, even in its French translation. Written in the nineties, it is reminiscent of Proust ("Past is everything, future is nothing, time has no other sense"); it carries visions from the Transcendental movement; it has the strength, the extraordinary energy, of Henry Miller; at times it makes as much sense as William Burroughs.

Cartarescu confesses a lot of influences. Among the recent writers, he declares his debt to the South American novel and its magic realism: Garcia Marques, surely, but  mostly Sabato. “We Romanians” he says in a recent interview to the French radio France Culture “we see ourselves as a South American country that would have drifted and beached somewhere in Europe”. He also declares his debt to Bruno Schultz. Funnily enough, the next book on my reading list is Miéville’s The City and the City, in which opening credit I found the name of Bruno Schultz!

Schultz’s Street of Crocodiles will soon join the merry-go-round in my book room. Orbitor’s sequels too, for this is a book of one kind and a true masterpiece unknown outside Romania.



[1] Books sleep standing, like horses, with which they share precious little else.